For a lot of people Spring means allergies. Changes in the weather and temperature and an abundance of pollen in the air can provoke an allergy attack, especially if your immune system is weakened. Thankfully, there are several ways to boost immunity naturally and help prevent allergy symptoms and attacks year round.
1. Keep your immune system strong by eating whole, organic foods. Avoid processed foods, sugar and chemicals.
2. Eat foods rich in vitamin C such as red peppers, dark leafy greens, broccoli, parsley, sprouts, sauerkraut and berries. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant shown to have favorable effects with hayfever, asthma and other allergy symptoms.
3. Exercising for at least 30 minutes daily will boost your immunity, promote blood circulation and detoxification in the body.
4. Spending time outdoors in the sun stimulates the body to make vitamin D and is also a good stress reliever. Both will help to keep your immune system healthy and strong.
5. Getting enough sleep is essential for health and vitality. Aim for at least 8 - 9 hours per night. If you have trouble sleeping there are ways to remedy that.
6. Add anti-inflammatory, immune enhancing foods to your diet such as seaweed, garlic, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and rosemary.
The list above is a good place to start when preventing or easing allergy symptoms but my favorite natural allergy remedy is: NETTLE
If you're not familiar with nettle it is a green plant with stinging leaves which is why it is called "Stinging Nettle". This plant contains powerful compounds which reduce histamine in the body. I have seen the magic of nettle first hand greatly reduce allergic reactions. You can eat the nettle leaves (found at farmers market now), drink a tea or tincture, or take it in capsule form to gain its amazing benefits. Nettle is extremely nutrient rich and nourishing to the adrenal glands. It provides the body with natural energy and tones and strengthens the intestines and lungs. I could go on and on about the power of nettle....truly one of nature's best medicinal plants!